Here is some important information on toxins that are harmful to your pet’s health.

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol): Especially toxic to cats and causes severe liver damage.
  • Antifreeze: Animals love the sweet taste, but even a small amount can be fatal. Watch out for leaks from your vehicle.
  • Chocolate: Dark chocolate and cocoa mulch can cause seizures and neurological symptoms.
  • Grapes and Raisins: Causes kidney failure in cats and dogs.•
  • Ivy: Many species of ivy are considered moderately toxic and can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, along with breathing difficulty, coma, or even death.
  • Lawn and Garden Treatments: Fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides are all potentially toxic to cats and dogs.
  • Lilies: Can cause kidney damage to cats and GI problems for cats and dogs.
  • Macadamia Nuts: Toxicity has only been seen in dogs (severe neurological symptoms, which usually clear within 48 hours).
  • Mistletoe: Can cause liver damage in cats and dogs. If ingested in large enough quantities, mistletoe has the potential to produce gastrointestinal irritation, excessive thirst and urination, incoordination, and a drop in blood pressure / heart rate.  In severe cases, there may be difficulty breathing, seizures, coma and even death.
  • Mushrooms: Certain species of mushrooms are considered to be relatively non-toxic, while other species can be very toxic. Of the toxic species, some may cause liver or kidney damage, while others may produce severe gastrointestinal or even neurological effects.
  • Onions: Fresh, cooked, dried or powdered can cause severe anemia in cats and dogs.
  • Rat Poison: It is made to be tempting to animals and causes internal bleeding that may not have obvious symptoms for a couple days.
  • Rhubarb: The leaves can cause neurological disease in cats and dogs.
  • Rising Bread Dough: An animal's body temperature can cause the dough to expand to the point of obstruction, which can cause death.
  • Tobacco products (nicotine): Ingestion of a partial cigarette or cigar is enough to be lethal.
  • Tulip bulbs: The bulb portions contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.

← RETURN TO PET CARE