Your pet's skin is much different than your own, so first and foremost, don't use human shampoo on your dog and cats. Choosing the right shampoo is vital to maintaining your pet's health.
Place cotton balls in their ears to keep water / shampoo from entering the ear canal (often causing an ear infection) and use a bland ophthalmic ointment in their eyes to keep shampoo and water from getting in the eyes prevent which can cause irritation.
Seven easy tips for bathing your pet:
- Rinse your pet using lukewarm water rinse (handheld shower heads are especially helpful).
- Apply a sufficient amount of shampoo to the top of your pet's neck and along their back.
- The face and ears should be washed with a soapy washcloth to avoid getting soap in the eyes or ears.
- Work the shampoo into their coat, adding more lukewarm water if needed.
- Rinse thoroughly until water runs clear.
- Repeat steps 2 - 4, this time allowing shampoo to sit for 5 - 10 minutes.
- After that time, rinse the shampoo from your pet's hair until the water runs clear.